The History of Reins-Sturdivant Funeral Home goes back almost 100 years and touches generations of families in Wilkes and surrounding counties. Although the business was incorporated as Reins-Sturdivant Funeral Home on August 4, 1930, the company traces its roots to James Calvin Reins establishing a monument business in Wilkesboro in 1894. Mr. Reins later moved the business to North Wilkesboro. He entered the “undertaking business” in 1917 and established Reins Funeral Home, the forerunner of Reins-Sturdivant Funeral Home.
Mr. W. K. Sturdivant, Sr. came to North Wilkesboro from Chase City, Virginia on April 22, 1926 to assist Mr. Reins with the funeral business. He acquired a financial interest in the business and the name was changed to Reins-Sturdivant. The company was incorporated August 4, 1930, when the remainder of the business was purchased from Mr. Reins by W. K. Sturdivant, Sr., A. A. Sturdivant, and C. A. Canter
The funeral home was located on Main Street in North Wilkesboro. An ambulance service was operated by the funeral home until 1967.
In 1960, stock in the corporation was sold to the management and officers of the funeral home. In 1961, the funeral home was moved from Main Street to a new location on Armory Road in North Wilkesboro. The new facilities provided a large chapel, visitation rooms, and improved parking.
In 1980, H. D. Caudill, Jr., Clyde D. Carpenter, Sr., and Joe Canter, purchased the remaining stock from the Sturdivant family and the Claude Canter family. Joe Canter served as vice president and treasurer until his retirement in 1984.
An expansion of 10,000 square feet completed in 1991 made space available to serve families with three large receiving rooms, two conference rooms to meet with families making funeral arrangements and working with pre arrangement plans. A large selection room for caskets and vaults make it possible for people to compare the prices and quality of both.
H. D. Caudill, Jr. was president, Clyde D. Carpenter, Sr., vice president and secretary, and Wayne E. Myers, vice president and treasurer. Mrs. H. D. (Ferne) Caudill was elected president following H. D. Caudill’s death April 9, 1994.